Clare has now been accredited as a ‘Walkers are Welcome‘ location. This is a non-profit making Community Interest Company. A nationwide initiative, it was launched in 2007 to encourage towns and villages to be ‘welcoming to walkers’. The network has expanded rapidly and there are now over 100 locations across the UK that have joined this innovative community-led scheme to benefit from accreditation.
It aims are to encourage and support towns and villages to
- be attractive destinations for walkers with top quality information on local walks
- offer local people and visitors excellent walking opportunities within their areas
- ensure that footpaths and facilities for walkers are maintained, improved and well signposted
- contribute to local tourism plans and regeneration strategies
- promote the health benefits of walking and increase participation
- encourage the use of public transport
The Walks Group, under the chairmanship of Derek Blake, have now achieved all these aims, supported by 150+ signatures and letters from local organisations, and so have been granted the accreditation. The group is an integral element in Visit Clare’s strategy.
We will be the second group to gain this award. The initiative has already been achieved by Shotley Open Spaces. Other towns and villages preparing for accreditation include Eye and Snape. An alliance of these groups has now been formed within Suffolk.
2017 © Clare Town Council