Clare is seeking accreditation as a ‘Walkers are Welcome‘ location. This is a non-profit making Community Interest Company. A nationwide initiative, launched in 2007 to encourage towns and villages to be ‘welcoming to walkers’. The network has expanded rapidly and there are now over 100 locations across the UK that have joined this innovative community-led scheme to benefit from accreditation.
It aims are to encourage and support towns and villages to
- be attractive destinations for walkers with top quality information on local walks
- offer local people and visitors excellent walking opportunities within their areas
- ensure that footpaths and facilities for walkers are maintained, improved and well signposted
- contribute to local tourism plans and regeneration strategies
- promote the health benefits of walking and increase participation
- encourage the use of public transport
The Walks Group (described here), under the chairmanship of Derek Blake, believe they have now achieved all these aims and will shortly be processing their application.
The initiative has already been achieved by the Shotley Open Spaces group. Other towns and villages preparing for accreditation include Sudbury, Eye and Snape.
You can find links to their walks here.
2017 © Clare Town Council